Cami de Ronda
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarah
Administrator

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  12:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'Ronda Way' is a new walkway set up in Tossa to help visitors appreciate the stunning coastal views on offer.

Although it's not quite finished, you can still take advantage of the stepped pathways and viewing platforms that have been completed so far.

I have written a detailed article on the walk for the next Newsletter, and have put a condensed version here as a taster:

The walk starts at Es Codolar. A map showing the route has been erected, and as with all the maps and signposts along the way, it’s all in Catalan. But as long as you understand ‘vostè és aquí’ means ‘you are here’, then you’ll generally be fine.

I will explain the walk as it’s supposed to happen rather than the way we did it, assuming that next time anyone goes to Tossa, the starting point will be open. But just in case it’s not and you’d like to get to the viewing platforms (legally), we did a left at the top of the road leading to La Torre dels Moros, walked up the hill as far as the ‘spooky wood’ on the left (the one where there are no birds in the trees and there’s an eerie silence), walked through the wood and continued along until we saw the back of a signpost above and to our right up a not-quite-finished footpath. We ventured up to see what the signpost said, and then found ourselves on the walk.

Now back to the route proper. Start at Es Codolar and take the footpath up the cliffside past that lovely villa with the pool and statue in the garden. For those of you who’ve been up there before and thought it a bit dangerous, worry no more, as they have improved it, and have fixed fences in place along the edge. Continue up to the top, and you’ll find yourself at a very high viewpoint with spectacular views of the Vila Vella. Next you will find the ‘quarry’ part which I’m sure will be wonderful when it’s finished, although I have no idea what they intend to do with it – a bar would be nice! There is a huge sign up there at the moment explaining how the council are investing in this new feature.

From here, you climb up the aforementioned not-quite-finished footpath and you are met with your first signpost. Here the proper walkways begin – nice low steps that are easy to climb – and fences to stop you falling over the edge! To your left, you will start to see amazing views of the coastline south of Tossa.

The path is signposted at intervals so you know what you are looking at: the names of the stunning bays and coves. At the top and the end of the walk is Es Cards. The viewing platform here was not finished when we were there, but will probably be done by now. It was quite a big one, with what looked like it was to be a planted feature in the centre. Here we saw the best views, right along the coast and back to the Vila Vella in the distance.

The rest of the viewing platforms on the way up are very pleasant, decked areas with benches for the weary walker and rubbish bins for those who fancy a picnic on their way.

From the first signpost, the round trip took us about two hours, but we did stop for lots of photo calls at each mirador! At the end, we were more than ready for a hearty lunch of tapas at the Hotel Diana, washed down of course with a nice refreshing cold beer!

I highly recommend this walk and can’t wait to hear from anyone else who has done it.

Photos and lots more descriptive details in the next Newsletter.

June
Platinum Member

United Kingdom
339 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  10:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At last they are making the walks around Tossa more accessible. For over 25 years visitors have had to struggle up dangerous slopes to viewpoints around Tossa, and now when I can only manage to walk as far as the beach, things are starting to improve. still we have been there and done it in the past without any serious accidents
Happy walking to all those who haven't done it yet

Junio Uno
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TossaCostaBrava.com Forums © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page