Ban the boats (and the ball games)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Sarah
Administrator

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2007 :  00:34:45  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else getting a bit fed up with the lack of space on the beach? The boats seem to be taking up more and more space every year forcing everyone to cram into micro-beach camps, especially at weekends and during fiestas. What can we do about it? How about a marina? Where would it go and how would it affect the landscape?

Plus, despite there being 'no ball games' signs up as you enter the beach, people still persist in playing all sorts of irritating sports, like bat the ball and throw stones up in the face of an innocent sunbather and volley the ball onto someone's head. In September we were plagued by ball throwing louts so much that we absconded to a more select beach on several occasions.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of banning things from the beach, how about smoking too? No wonder it's been banned on other Costa Brava beaches. I lost count of the number of times I had smoke blown in my face all day from the chimney who had parked themselves in front of our camp.

June
Platinum Member

United Kingdom
339 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2007 :  10:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't think that the boats are more plentiful on the beach than in years past, but the influx of holiday-makers from all over Euorope, especially the Eastern Bloc. They drive down to Spain and, of course go for the nearest, bigger resort, which is either Tossa or Lloret and guess what, they choose Tossa and tell their friends(as we all do)what a lovely place it is.
SO, the numbers build up and the beach gets more crowded year by year.Have you ever tried going down to the sea for a quick dip at weekends between the hours of 12 and 4pm It's a nightmare! and forget about trying to sit near to the water! You can't unless you wnt to sit on a stranger's knee
I don't think that building a marina would be the answer, as it would maybe spoil what's left of the natural coastline around there

Junio Uno
Go to Top of Page

pm

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2007 :  13:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're not really 'beach' people but we do love to wander along the promenade and sit and watch the world go by. What we've noticed over the years is the increase in the numbers of 'day-trippers' that arrive both by boat and on coaches, especially on week-ends. We've given up going up the Vila Vella on weekends as there always seem to be large groups around.

I must say that I do like marinas and enjoy having 'a nose' at the posh boats but I can't imagine where they could put one in Tossa without spoiling the area.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

geoffval
Platinum Member

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2007 :  11:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Val & I had a "spot" by the boats and near the sea for many years but got fed up of all the activity - and there were only two rows of boats then.
That is the reason we have moved to the left of Claudi's board walk with the rest of the old codgers.
Our daughter and her family are firm favourites of Mar Menuda - more because of the gentle slope and great snorkeling than anything else although parking is a pain.As long as you are at the far end of the beach there is no boat traffic.
I agree banning smoking would be great - I normally have to pick up a dozen buts before we settle but who will police it - the vigilantes can't even stop the ball games!!
As far as crowds - Tossa is a popular place and most of the Saturday afternoon and Sunday crowd are "locals" from Girona Barcelona , Casa de Selva etc and I think we have to accept the situation and if it really annoys us then spend Sunday around hotel pools or go somewhere else.
It is the same all around the world - in the Middle East all the locals arrive midday Thursday and leave early Saturday and in many other places hotels are full of ex pats at weekend ,causing resentment to travellers who have flown thousands of miles to be there.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Administrator

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2007 :  00:15:14  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're absolutely right Mr Sarong.

We did just as you suggest, if you don't like it, go somewhere else. Instead of arriving at the beach early we went shopping (bliss) in the morning, then set up camp on the beach around 1pm and went straight to lunch, then by the time we'd eaten our ensalada de moscas, we were ready for a peaceful sleep once everyone else had gone off for a later lunch than us. When the ball playing riff-raff arrived, we left to spend time on our rooftop spa in the Hotel Florida.

And on very busy days, we defected to our lovely quiet place along the coast. It may have cost us in cab fares, but it was well worth it!
Go to Top of Page

June
Platinum Member

United Kingdom
339 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2007 :  10:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to wander between all 3 beaches (when I could walk)and have spent many a happy hour at the fisherman's cove, under the ramparts, where, on a hot day it is possible to sit in the shade, under the cliffs.
Sunday was a day for walking up into the hills. Not forgetting to take a packed lunch and drinks, only returning to Tossa at 5pm (approx.) for a well-earned rest at bar Europa for a 'pot of tea'
Come Monday, the partying Spaniards were back at work

Junio Uno
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TossaCostaBrava.com Forums © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page