La Roca
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarah
Administrator

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2008 :  00:03:29  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New this year, La Roca takes the place of long-standing classic L'Illa (which strangely transformed into a Chinese last year with a buffet libre involving just a few olives and slices of lemon). It's the one on the way up to the Reymar Hotel just opposite the big rock L'Illa by the Minerva Statue.

What a fabulous set meal we had. Ten Euros bought us:

De primero
Kevin: Vegetable stew. Thick and rich, with excellent results (no Senokot required the next day).
Me: Ensalada Mixta: divine, just the right size and oh so fresh.

De segundo
Kevin and me: Lomo de Cerdo a la Riojana
We didn't pretend to know what this was - obviously we knew it was some sort of winey porky dish - but we were pleasantly surprised. We had about 6 generous pork medallions of the most tender quality, chargrilled and served in a delicious sauce of mushrooms, red peppers, onions and tomatoes - and red wine of course. A few lip smackingly home made fries provided the garnish.

Y de postre
We were stunned at this. Kevin had chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Usually with set meals you expect a poor man's dessert such as a plastic tub of rock hard ice cream or some tinned fruit chucked into a cocktail glass. But no, here was a Gordon-Ramsayesque designed sweet. Star-shaped ice cream adorned with artfully squirted sauce and bits of wafer jutting out creating a tempting finale.

I ordered 'cake'. I think they should re-name it as 'sumptious, creamy white ice cream layered with sheets of light sponge drizzled in a raspberry jus' or something along those lines. It was exquisite! I'm not usually a sweetie fanatic, but this really did tickle my fancy!

We had a half litre of wine which was really rather nice considering it wasn't from the 15 Euros a bottle collection we usually go with, plus ample fresh bread that we couldn't finish.

Plus service with a smile.

What more could you ask for?

Apart from Can Carlus, our best dining experience this year.

Sandra Mollat
Platinum Member

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2008 :  12:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds fabulous and with a location like that, I shall certainly put it on the top of my list for September.
Go to Top of Page

sarahscott

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2008 :  17:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds lovely. I don't suppose they had a childrens menu, did they?
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Administrator

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2008 :  21:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't be sure but I think they did. You could always ask if not...

They had a wonderful tapas menu too.
Go to Top of Page

June
Platinum Member

United Kingdom
339 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2008 :  09:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We sat for a while opposite this restaurant and noticed that it had changed hands again. It was late morning, but even at this time, there were a few people eating. The waiters seemed very pleasant and attentive and we noticed that the menu was value for money. The tapas board displayed looked good and cheaper than Bar Elsa

Junio Uno
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TossaCostaBrava.com Forums © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page