New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic   

claredenandrose
Platinum Member

Spain
294 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2005 :  21:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It must have been in the late 1990's that we were in a restaurant late one September- Sunday afternoon. We had almost finished lunch when we heard such a noise.
Car horns tooting, people cheering and shouting, we of course all went to the door to see lots and lots of Volswagen vehicles of differing styles and ages, all following in a convoy.
It was fantastic, some passengers with heads out of their sunroof, windows open, some cars decorated, all waving and cheering.
After lunch we went to the promenade to find where they had all gone. all the way up to the "Minerva" statue was lined with the cars. In the circle at the bottom of the statue, several men were preparing a massive paella. The road further on was lined with tables and chairs and all the occupiers of the Volkswagen were being wined and dined.
Has anyone else ever seen this Does it still happen
We always say when we visit Tossa de Mar there is always something you haven't seen or experienced before.

I must go down to Tossa again to the azure seas and sky
And all I ask is fair weather as my time there passes by.
Adapted from "Sea Fever" by John Masefield

Edited by - claredenandrose on 21/07/2005 22:30:03

Sarah
Administrator

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2005 :  21:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All I know is the Beetle Car meeting takes place every September. It's on the 25th this year (one day after we leave).

I'll no doubt have more information on it when the next Events Diary comes through from the Cultural Office and I'll post it on the site as soon as I get it.

Sounds fantastic though - wish I could see it!

PS - great little poem at the end!
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Administrator

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2005 :  21:51:26  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PS

If anyone has any photos or more information please send it all to me so I can use it in the main content of the website - with a credit to you of course!

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

claredenandrose
Platinum Member

Spain
294 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2005 :  22:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's probably it Sarah, but it wasn't just "Beetles".
We don't usually go that late in September, but would like to see it again .

I must go down to Tossa again to the azure seas and sky
And all I ask is fair weather as my time there passes by.
Adapted from "Sea Fever" by John Masefield
Go to Top of Page

June
Platinum Member

United Kingdom
339 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2005 :  11:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have seen the vintage motor cycle rally in June quite a few times, where the riders dress in traditional uniforms of the time. They seem to make their way up the the coast road after leaving the car park on the beach in Tossa. Does anyone know if this is an annual event

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Administrator

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2005 :  22:11:14  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
News just in! The Volkswagen Meeting will take place this year from Friday 23 to Sunday 25 September.

Here are some details for further info:

Tel: +34 627 465 838
email: avwc@hotmail.com
Web: http://www.avwc.org

Check out this page for some great old photos from Tossa and a bit of history on where the event came from:
http://www.avwc.org/fotos/TOSSAHISTORIA/tossahistoriaangles.htm
Go to Top of Page

claredenandrose
Platinum Member

Spain
294 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2005 :  23:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a pity we are not in Tossa for this fantastic event.
The pictures on the website you gave Sarah are excellent, brought back memories of the time we saw the "Parade" etc. We really enjoyed seeing the event, what fun they all seemed to be having.
Just one of the many things that make Tossa de Mar a special place for us.

We would love to live in Tossa !!!
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Administrator

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2005 :  00:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did anyone see this event in September?

Has anyone got any photos or an account of the experience?

I'd love to hear from you so I can include more information on the website!

E-mail me with any details or photos: sarah@tossacostabrava.com

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Administrator

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2005 :  12:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is now more information about the annual VW meeting on the website.

Follow this link http://www.tossacostabrava.com/helpful_info.html and then click on 'Fiestas, Siestas' and you'll find the information under 'Other Celebrations and actvities in Tossa de Mar'.
Go to Top of Page

geoffval
Platinum Member

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2006 :  20:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The VW Rally was again held this year , as usual , over the weekend of 23rd/24th September.It was a shame that there was a big storm and the river was in flood on the Saturday morning but by Sunday midday the sun had broken through and the parade took place around the town with the judging taking place on the main Girona road , which had been closed off for the day between the two roundabouts, by the main school.
The entrants had been based at Cala Llavado for the weekend which had included various events , including evening "do's".
The parade was cheered through the streets which was a bit of a worry for us as we pulled out from the Mar Menuda in a bright red 2006 Renault Hire Car into the middle of the convoy and had to stay with them until we escaped via the bus station.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
Administrator

United Kingdom
625 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  12:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That reminds me of the pizza delivery moped that we saw caught up in the annual rockers' motorcycle run to Southend one year! Shouldn't think that pizza was all that hot by the time it reached the customers!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TossaCostaBrava.com Forums © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page