New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

geoffval
Platinum Member

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  10:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We know that some people have strong feelings on circus animals but those of us old enough to remember cannot deny the excitement of visiting a travelling circus in our youth .The smells, the sounds and, of course the taste of candyfloss!
The Big Top is has now vanished from the towns & villages of Britain but is alive & well in Espana!
Our daughter Sarah, husband Steve , and sprogs Oliver 8 and Isla, nearly 3 were in Tossa from the 12th to 22nd July and decided to visit the travelling circus , which was well advertised by posters on every lamppost and a little van with loudspeaker touring the town.
From their balcony,they had watched its' arrival at the football ground on the Selva road and had been fascinated at the speed in which the workers erected the Big Top.
Money was tight-Tossa is no longer an inexpensive holiday what with inflation in Spain and the bad exchange rate so they decided to watch the cents and save for the tickets.
They used their own chairs and brolleys(€15pd), made packed lunches (€15pd) and used Cala Llavado (sandy) beach with free parking and parked out of town rather in pay car parks(at least €10pd) and by doing all this saved more than enough to treat the family to tickets.
Just as well they had saved – 2 adults and two children-€92 !!!
Although the price was a shock they believed it was well worth the money as it would be an experience of a lifetime for the kids and one they will probably never see again – certainly at home.
Clowns dressed as pirates, wonderful jugglers, acrobats, performing miniature horses and bulls, camels ,EIGHT tigers and a mad flock of ostrich all made it a magical evening and a unique experience for the children, who have not stopped talking about it since their return. (And they had candy floss!
“Pops-can we go to a circus at here please”? Isla asks.
“They don’t have animals in the Circus here” replies Pops
“Why”
Stumped for answer – can’t really discuss Elf & Safety,RSPCA,NSPB,BSE,DEFRA with a nearly 3 year old , but come out with-
“ It’s the rules – but there might be a circus next year at Pop and Grans seaside place”
“Oh-that’s all right then , can we go soon?” says Isla.

Sandra Mollat
Platinum Member

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2008 :  10:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an unforgettable experience for your grandchildren and well done to the parents for their thrift. As you say, not something we can see here any more, owing to rules and regulations. I was able to take my oldest grand-daughter, now at uni, to see a circus similar to the one you describe, when she was three. She enjoyed it all apart from when she had a ride on the elephant and found the height from the ground and the wobbling, a bit daunting. One day, when I was driving home from work, I thought it was a mirage, when I saw two elephants, grazing contently, in the local farmer's field. Let's hope " the circus comes to town" for your grandchildren next Summer; better start saving!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TossaCostaBrava.com Forums © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page